Japanese-style Egg Salad Sandwiches (Tamago Sando)
By Brandon Muhawi
Senior Food Writer at Pro Home Cooks
- 1 dozen large eggs
- 1/4 cup Kewpie mayo*
- 2 scallions
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Small pinch of MSG (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices of shokupan or similar white bread
- Room temperature butter and mustard to serve
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Carefully place all eggs into the boiling water and set a timer for 10 minutes. In the meantime, prepare a large bowl of ice water. After 7.5 minutes, remove 4 of the eggs and place them in the ice bath. Once cooled, set the soft-boiled eggs aside. When the timer goes off, remove the remaining 8 hard-boiled eggs and set them in the ice bath to chill.
- Peel the 8 hard-boiled eggs and place in a large mixing bowl. Using a large fork, mash the eggs into small, uniform pieces. Thinly slice the scallions and add them to the bowl. Add the mayo, sugar, MSG, salt and pepper to taste. Mix vigorously until homogenous.
- Peel the soft-boiled eggs and slice them in half. For each sandwich, prep the bread with a thin layer of butter on both sides, and a thin layer of mustard on one side. Sprinkle salt on the cut side of each soft-boiled egg and place two halves on the bread, face-down. Place a large scoop of egg salad atop the soft-boiled egg and spread evenly. Top with the other slice of bread.
- Trim the crusts off the sandwich and slice into thirds, perpendicular to the soft-boiled eggs. Serve and enjoy!
Sourdough Baking School
Master the art of sourdough bread baking in the most comprehensive baking class on the internet. This class features over three hours of baking content to help you start your sourdough journey.See More