Mutsumi Hinoura Shirogami Kurouchi - Chefs Knife 21cm - The Gyuto
This Mutsumi Hinoura Gyuto with Shirogami #2 steel core and stainless cladding with Kurouchi Nashiji finish is highly recommended for busy cooks and equally great as a home knife. It is a must have kitchen knife, adored for its versatility and sharpness.
- Blade set in beautiful stabilised premium-cut maple wood in octagonal shape
- Very responsive to sharpening stones
- Steel Type: Shirogami / White Steel #2
- Knife Handle Material: Stabilised Maple Burl
- Knife Type: Gyuto Handle
- Waterproof: Yes
- Maker: Mutsumi Hinoura Made in Japan
- Weight: 0.3 kg
- Dimensions: 35 × 5 × 3 cm
- HRC: 63-64
- Blade Length: 210mm
Shirogami #2 is very responsive to sharpening stones, taking an extremely fine, biting edge easily. As shirogami and iron are both reactive, keep these dry when not in use to avoid rust. Please remember that the core is not stainless and should be dried after use (check our maintenance tips here). The blade will develop a dark patina with normal use, but any orange rust should be removed with a light abrasive or sharpening.
Like most equipment, knives need a little love and care. You need to sharpen them regularly and depending on the type of steel, dry them immediately after use. These are 3 general rules you should follow:
- Don’t put your knife in a dishwasher, ever.
- Store your knives either on the magnetic knife strip, knife stand, or sheathed in the utensil drawer.
- Don’t slide your knife, blade down, across the cutting board to clear away what you just chopped.